Are you wanting to refresh your wardrobe? Feeling like your style has changed but don’t know where to start? Have a closet that is leaving you uninspired? Then it’s time for a wardrobe overhaul! If you remember, I went through took 80% of my wardrobe to donation or consignment. The clothes were no longer working for me. It didn’t feel like my style anymore. I was unsure where to start, so the best place seemed to be at the beginning. Kept my favorite pieces that I wear regularly and that was all.
I was lucky enough at the time I decided to overhaul my closet a new consignment event in Vancouver popped up called Archive. Consignment is the perfect way to get rid of clothes you no longer wear or maybe never wore! By going the consignment route you are helping fund your wardrobe overhaul. I made around $250 at the Fall Archive event, which was more than enough to get started on my new wardrobe style. If you’re in Vancouver they have opened registration for their 2019 fall sale.
The questions to ask yourself when consigning clothes. If you answer YES to most of these, the piece would be great for consignment:
- Is the item new with tags and still a current style?
- A popular brand that sells well?
- Will the resale value be worth the consigning effort? (Remember most stores and pop ups take 40%, leaving you with 60% of the total sale price)
- If the item is a few years old is the style still on trend?
- Does the piece have a good fit?
Tips on how to consign your clothes with a store or pop up.
- Make sure all of your pieces are in good condition, nothing with major wear and tear.
- Know what season/clothing the consignment store is accepting. Most have this information on their website.
- Check to see if you need an appointment or can simply drop in with your clothing.
- Get to know your local consignment shops and pop ups. What type of clothing do they like or take regularly. What items sell quickly.
- Don’t limit yourself to one consignment store or pop up. Be strategic about where you take your clothes.
Consigning can be a great place to sell the clothing you no longer need and to use the money towards new wardrobe pieces you’ve been dreaming of.
All of the photos in this post feature pieces I bought at the Archive consignment sale May 31 and June 1! When shopping consignment it’s a great place to purchase a higher quality item at a BIG discount.
FRUGAL FASHION FRIDAY
Consignment Outfit on a Budget:
Community Black Romper: $65 (Archive), Toms Black Espadrilles: $15 (Archive), Black Straw Purse: $17.99 (H&M), Yellow Scarf: $4.99 (Winners), Silver Stacked Rings: $20, Layered necklaces: hand me downs from my mom and a gift from Mark
This might seem like one of my more expensive outfits but the romper sells for around $160 and the Toms are $80, so those two pieces new would be $240! That’s not including the accessories!
A couple Vancouver consignment stores: