I create a lot of DIY projects, some are made from scratch and others are from items I find, but I always have a plan. I thought it might be nice to share some DIY tips, to help others create their own process.
Today I am going to talk about inspiration. Sometimes it can be hard to come up with a DIY idea, or it takes a really long time to make, or you can’t find the materials I want. Here are a few ways to guarantee success!
1. Make a dream list – What are some items you want. A front hall bench or floor pillows or a new piece of wall décor, whatever it is write it down or save a list on your phone. It’s easy to get off track and purchase items you don’t need or make something you don’t like or can’t use. Right now my dream list has DIY tables for the living room!
2. Find inspiration photos – It’s a great idea to save inspiration photos of projects you want to create. Inspiration photos will help you know what you need for materials, keep you on track and have a visual to come back to. If you know what you want, search for that specific item online, if you are unsure look up the room you are trying to decorate and see if anything pops out!
3. Always be on the lookout – Whether you are purchasing new items or looking for something old to bring new life to, it can take time to find the right items. I have an ongoing list of DIY’s and know the materials I would like for them. Also be open to the material or item looking different than you think! I never thought of a storage ottoman for our front hall, I was looking for a cute little stool, but saw the potential in the storage ottoman.
4. Take your time – Make sure you take your time to find the right item or material or inspiration. If you rush in purchasing what you need or when you are creating your DIY you probably won’t be happy with the result. Let the inspiration hit you! It will, trust me. I have definitely rushed before and regretted it! Those items ended up being donated back since they didn’t fit with our esthetic.
5. Follow designers on social media – I find so much wonderful inspiration from social media! I follow designers, stylists, and shops to find new ideas. Everyone posts different photos, links and items, so it’s great to follow a whole spectrum. Plus everyone has their own tips and styling advice which is great.
For example the Joy banner above was an idea that came from not wanting a wreath!
The pumpkin centerpiece was inspired by a vendor I had seen in San Francisco the year before.
The DIY growler wall as born out of a need for storage!
The pom pom pillow happened because I was looking for some throw pillows. I found this one for $1, but it had a hole in the corner! I added pom poms to hide the flaw.