Since I recently refreshed our front entryway I went through my accessory collection, I have quite a few vintage purses, but decided it was time for some of them to move on. Of course I love them all, but my style is constantly growing and changing. This fall I knew I wanted a handful of new purses to bring my wardrobe to life. I was extremely happy to find this brilliant red leather purse by Danier at my local Salvation Army Thrift Store. I will be able to use this purse for fall and winter adding a pop of colour to any outfit.
This red leather purse was not an inexpensive thrift store find, but sometimes it’s worth the investment. The price tag on the bag was $19.99, which in my opinion is a little high. Anyone else miss the good old days of thrifting when all bags were $1.99 each?!? The purse looked great, had a nice shape, the added tassel was a huge selling point and the leather was in good condition. At home I looked online to see if Danier had a comparable purse, they did! A red Mayra shoulder bag and it retails for $187.00. Ok fair enough, I paid 10 percent of the retail price. When I broke it down that way I didn’t feel so bad about the slightly more expensive thrift store purchase.
5 tips to find a high quality purse at the thrift store
- LOOK AT THE MATERIAL. You don’t want to purchase a bag or purchase that is not leather. I honestly don’t think it’s worth the investment. With leather you know you are getting a high quality material that will last.
- TAKE A PEEK INSIDE. How does the lining look? You don’t want a purse that looks nice on the outside but when you open it up the lining is all ripped. Unless it’s an easy fix, leave the purse behind.
- CHECK THE STRAP. What does the condition of the strap look like? Is it fraying or cracking or is the strap missing all together. Having a stylish purse is great, but if the condition of the strap is poor, it doesn’t feel so classy.
- ARE THERE STAINS. Leather can still be stained from pens or oil. Inspect the outside to see if there are any visible or large stains. Same goes for the inside of the purse. If the inside is cloth some stains, like pen, are easily removed.
- DOES IT CLOSE. This is the one I always forget! Does the clasp or magnet or closure for the style of purse close properly? Make sure the mechanism is not missing, I feel this can be a common one.
Let’s breakdown the cost!
Frugal Fashion Friday: Fun Fall Accessories
Danier Red Leather Purse: $19.99 (Salvation Army Thrift Store), Steve Madden Leopard Print Booties: $8.00 (TurnAbout Consignment), Black Shirt: $6.99 (Salvation Army Thrift Store), Grey Pants: $19.99 (Winners)
Total Cost: $54.97
A fall outfit for under $60! Some new pieces mixed with old is the perfect match. I have already used this purse numerous times this fall and I definitely feel it will be a go to accessory! These leopard print booties have been with me for probably 5 seasons now and I still love them. I found them at a consignment store during a new years sale and they have lasted wonderfully.
A Plentiful Life Affordable Affordable Fashion budget Budget Decor Budget Fashion Fall Fashion Fall Fashion 2018 Fall Fashion OOTD Fall OOTD Frugal Frugal Fashion Frugal Fashion Friday Frugalista Leopard Print Leopard Print Booties money saving Money Saving Monday Money Saving Tip Money Saving Tips On a Budget OOTD Red Leather Purse Salvation Army Salvation Army Creative Expert Salvation Army Thrift Store Saving Money Thrift Store Thrift Store Finds Thrifted Thrifting Under $50 Under $50 Outfit Upcycle vintage Vintage Red Leather Purse Winners