When I found out we were pregnant with twins, I panicked! What was I going to wear? How big would I get? Could I still wear my regular clothes for a while? Would I even be able to fit regular clothes or would I have to go straight to maternity wear? At around 9 weeks my tummy was already growing and the elastic around the button on my pants trick was barely working, and totally uncomfortable. The solution thrifted maternity wear.
Since it was August and summer was winding down I decided to put away all of the clothes that no longer fit. Looking in your closet and feeling frustrated by everything you try on is not very fun. This did not leave me with a lot of clothing. I started by creating a Pinterest inspiration board for thrifted maternity fall fashion. I searched for maternity fashion and pinned everything that caught my eye. Once I had a few photos I looked through them to see what really drew me to the photos in the first place. For some it was a style, others it was a specific piece.
From my Pinterest list I made a list of 10 dream items that would compliment the wardrobe I could still wear. I knew I wasn’t ready for maternity wear, so I headed to my local Salvation Army thrift store. There I would be able to find some of the items on my list for a fraction of the cost. I was in luck and ended up finding most of the items on my list.
Thrifted Maternity: Here is what I ended up purchasing.
- Oversized sweater – it was long so I knew it would last most of the winter and fall with my growing belly.
- Fall jacket – I knew this jacket wouldn’t do up over my belly but I was going for an open jacket look and the one I found fell perfectly.
- Long t-shirt – it was a regular tee but really long so I knew it could grow with my belly.
- Leather jacket – I have wanted a new leather jacket for a while and I found the perfect fit! It’s great for fall and will fit next year as well.
- Midi dress – I feel like dresses are your friend in pregnancy. They are easy to dress up or down plus really highlight your belly. The one I found had a tie so gave me some shape which was perfect.
- Long cardigan – A cozy grey cardigan was perfect for fall and will probably fit in winter as well. Cardigans are great since they don’t have to fit over your belly.
- Colourful purse – something I won’t outgrow and will be a nice addition to my fall wardrobe!
I was able to purchase all of these items from the Salvation Army thrift store for only $50! Some of the items like the oversized sweater and long tee will only be for the pregnancy. The rest will easily become staples in my wardrobe!
If you are pregnant and frustrated with your current wardrobe, start over. This doesn’t have to be a large investment. Set a budget and make a list of pieces that will work with the items that still fit in your wardrobe. Make sure to only purchase pieces that are for the current season as well. The Salvation Army thrift store is a great place to start. You can find high quality secondhand clothing for less and you will feel really good!
FRUGAL FASHION FRIDAY
Thrifted Maternity Fall Fashion
Ripped Jeans: $25 (Old Navy, great sale), Black Tee: $4.99 (Salvation Army thrift store). Grey Wool Jacket: $12.99 (Salvation Army thrift store), Vintage Red Purse: $5.99 (Salvation Army thrift store), Black Leather Slides: $65 (Winners), Herkimer Diamond Earrings: $70 (Miskwill)
TOTAL COST: $183.97
I know this amount may seem high but if you look at all of the pieces I purchased from the Salvation Army thrift store, they are really affordable. I have decided to invest in shoes and jewelry since these last for more than one season when higher quality. I’ve had these black leather slides for three seasons now!