The Big Reveal! Loved being part of the Ultimate Upcycle Challenge: Planted hosted by the BC Home & Garden Show, Habitat for Humanity Vancouver and Rustoleum Canada. The challenge was to find a household item from Habitat for Humanity’s Restore and upcycle it into a garden planter using a black box of supplies from Rustoleum and a $50 design budget. The 10 designs will be on display and part of a silent auction to support Habitat for Humanity Feb 17 to 21 at the BC Home & Garden Show!
Ok I will be honest the step by step really falls apart near the end. I ended up throwing out my back and could barely stand up, so photos were the last thing on my mind, and I apologize!
STEP 1: Find a regular household item. I chose a chandelier and it ended up being even better than I could have imagined. It was really easy to take the whole chandelier apart to paint and I was able to use the original fixture screws to hold all the pots in place.
STEP 2 – Take it apart. Easy, simply take apart as much of the chandelier as possible to be able to paint it easier.
STEP 3: Keep all nuts and bolts together in one place, this will make it easier in the end.
STEP 4: Look at the colours from the Rustoluem black box and make a plan! The colours were so great! There was also a chalk paint I will keep for another project as it was not recommended for outside use.
STEP 5: Tape off all screws so the threads don’t get paint on them and are easy to use again.
STEP 6: Prime everything. As this chandelier was black with gold priming was the best way to get an even colour.
STEP 7: After painting the leaves white I didn’t want to get any spray paint on them so taped them off to avoid this. Every colour had to be completed on a different day so the spray paint had time to dry and cure.
STEP 8: Take the tape off! Nothing feels better than taking the tape off a project to reveal the colors.
STEP 9: Put it back together! Again all of the hardware that was used for the chandelier worked to hold the pots in place.
STEP 10: Added a pop of color to the middle pot and here is the final product!